HOW TO HELP A SUICIDAL PERSON ON FACEBOOK & REPORTING LINKS FOR OTHER SITES
IF YOU OR SOMEONE YOU KNOW IS SUICIDAL - CONTACT THE APPROPRIATE LINKS IMMEDIATELY
IN CANADA & U.S. - NATIONAL SUICIDE PREVENTION LIFELINE 1-800-273-8255
WORLDWIDE - www.befrienders.org - enter country in search box at top of page
ONLINE SUPPORT: www.unsuicide.wikispaces.com/Online+Suicide+Help
1. Get familiar with signs of suicide from the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline's link:
Help Someone Else Online. There are many other good links on this Lifeline page including a new Lifeline chat service “Lifeline Chat” available 7 days a week 2pm to 2am EST (Eastern Standard Time).
The Lifeline Crisis Chat service is available within the United States and territories from 2pm to 2am seven days a week. If all chat specialists are busy assisting other visitors you will be asked to try the chat again in a half hour. If the chat service is not open we encourage you to call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.
2. Talk to them, ask if they're okay and even ask directly if they are suicidal
3. Ask if they've done anything already to harm themselves or if they have a plan? Talking directly about suicide does not encourage or increase the possibility of suicide, in fact it often diffuses it.
4. Don't tell them how they should feel, instead direct your comments to those they have already made being sure to be non-judgemental, compassionate and supportive. Pay very close attention to what the suicidal person says, not imparting your own beliefs on them as a way to support. Do not lecture on the values of life or attempt to argue them out of suicide. Avoid saying “you have so much to live for” or "your suicide will hurt your family”. Don't be sworn to secrecy. Always offer hope, that you care and that they're not alone.
5. Go to their FB page and copy the url to their personal FB page onto a word document, email or whatever you want to use that you can refer back to later. The url for their FB profile is required when reporting to FB as well.
6. Copy the suicidal post, either to a word document, email or whatever you want to use that you can refer back to later. In some instances, the suicidal person will delete their suicidal comment, so it's important to have a copy that you can include when you report to FB as well.
7. Ask where they live if you don't already know that or can't see their location on their FB profile and then call the local police or 911. This can be done by saying "I live in Canada, in Mississauga, Ontario - where do you live? Keep them chatting if you can while you're contacting the police.
8. If they say they are suicidal, or you feel they are, give them the appropriate suicide hotline # for their area. If you are in Canada or the U.S. it's Lifeline 1-800-273-8255. If outside of North America, simply do an internet search listing their location ex. “New South Wales, Australia suicide hotline” and a variety of links will appear and you can then copy and paste the hotline # appropriate to them or any other links you think may be of help.
9. Report them to Facebook using either of the 2 ways to report which you can learn about through this link: How to Report Suicidal Users on Facebook
Please bookmark or keep this link in a quickly accessible place should you need it and get familiar with what's required to report. My “About” page (link to About appears under Suicide Shatters FB logo) of Suicide Shatters under “General Information” has this information available always.
If the person has not done anything to harm themselves, I have sometimes asked them whether they would like the FB chat link feature which is emailed to them once they've been reported to FB. I tell them what to expect, which is an email from FB stating someone is concerned about them, it gives them their appropriate hotline # and a link for a chat feature. Getting their agreement can be very helpful.
In situations where risk is imminent, and they refuse to call for help themselves, I personally do not tell them I'm reporting them. They will sometimes be extremely angry for being reported, but I feel better they be angry but alive. All reports to FB are anonymous, the suicidal person is never notified of who reported them.
10. If the suicidal content or direct threat is on another social media site, here is a link for how to report to many of the major sites provided by Emotion Technology:
Concerned for Someone Online? Links to report suicidal users on social media sites. (Please note: you'll possibly see a warning but know this is a safe and secure site, just hit continue to see the link)
11. Remain calm and if you can take the conversation privately, ONLY if you feel comfortable and confident in doing so, it often keeps others from chiming in offering support but often adding further chaos to someone who is struggling. Many will offer words of support and advice, but it is not always beneficial to the suicidal person and can distract from getting them easy to understand information to get them the help they need as quickly as possible.
12. Here is another good link from Facebook's Help Center: I need to find a suicide hotline for myself or a friend": I need to find a suicide hotline for myself or a friend
13. Be sure to follow up the next day and make sure they are okay. Assure them you care and are concerned and that they should feel free to reach out to you should they feel the need for it again. Ask them after your initial interaction to please send you a quick message the following day just to let you know they're okay, but if you don't hear back, message them. Lastly, I'd like to give you a link which is an excellent resource from IASP (International Association for Suicide Prevention) for "Online Suicide Help". Many links are given for: IM chat, Chat room, email, public forum, text lines, etc.
Online Suicide Help (Please note: you'll possibly see a warning but know this is a safe and secure site, just hit continue to see the link)
14. Also wanted to include a good link from AFSP on "Warning Signs of Suicide" Warning Signs of Suicide (Please note: you'll possibly see a warning but know this is a safe and secure site, just hit continue to see the link)
*** PLEASE Like✔ Comment✔ Share✔ to Help Educate & Raise Awareness. It saves lives! *** Please also leave this NOTE intact as is, don't copy and paste, use the SHARE. Thank you.