Cancer Expert Search

Cancer ExpertCancer Expert: Search
Enter your question and submit. Use a complete English sentence for better results.
Cancer Expert, © 2012-2013, ctSearch - Context Search Engine.

Friday, May 6, 2011

Former BARC scientist ends life, TOI

Former BARC scientist ends life in Govandi
V Narayan, Apr 30, 2011, 12.25am IST

MUMBAI: A retired lady scientist of the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) committed suicide by popping an overdose of tablets prescribed for bi-polar disorder. The domestic help found the body of Dr Uma Narsimha Rao (63) in the 10th floor flat at Runwal Centre Building in Govandi on Friday around 8 am.

Rao resided in the flat alone. "She might have consumed excess tablets the previous night. We registered a case of accidental death report (ADR). Meanwhile the investigators are awaiting the post-mortem report," said assistant commissioner of police (Trombay division) Jalinder Khandagale. She made powder of two different tablets and consumed it, the police said.

Police said Rao`s domestic help Maitri Sushila entered the house with help of spare key. "Sushila found her unconscious and then informed Rao`s younger son Anuragh, 34, who stays in a building nearby. He called the doctor who declared her dead. Later Anuragh called us," a police officer said.

Police found a suicide note in her flat. The note said, "I am taking the extreme step due to bi-polar disorder (depression) and headache for long. Now it has become incurable. I cannot live life like this. No one should be held responsible." The note ended with Rao`s signature.

Anuragh, an artist and an event management professional told the police that his mother was undergoing treatment at the BARC hospital. Anuragh, in the statement, said, "My mother stayed alone in the flat ever since my father Dr Narsimha Rao died 10 years ago of heart attack. He too was a BARC scientist." Anuragh stays with his family in Govandi while his elder brother Debashish and family is US citizen. They will reach Mumbai soon.

Rao`s domestic help Sushila said the previous day the deceased handed over the flat keys to her and said that she will go for medical checkup on Friday. "I was asked to use the keys to enter the house. Around 8am I entered the house and found my employer unconscious. Immediately I called her son who called the doctor," she said.

A Trombay police officer said that Rao was suffering from bi-polar disorder for the last twenty years, her son said. She was also an active social worker and was the president of Indian Women Scientist Association (IWSA). Rao had worked in the Food Technology and Cell Biology division of BARC.
Ads by Google

No comments: