Cancer Expert Search

Cancer ExpertCancer Expert: Search
Enter your question and submit. Use a complete English sentence for better results.
Cancer Expert, © 2012-2013, ctSearch - Context Search Engine.

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Deconstructing the thoughts behind the suicide of a farmer









Sep 1, 2014 18:03 ISThttps://www.saddahaq.com/humaninterest/farmersuicides/why-i-committed-suicide-a-dead-farmers-account







After years of battles and sacrifices, many rejoiced in the formation of the new state -- the 29th state of India -- Telangana. Though I was part of the population that would have loved to rejoice the fruits of this long drawn struggle, I could not. It was easier for me to die than to live. This newly formed state was the most badly affected region in the erstwhile state of Andhra Pradesh in terms of droughts.
It was easier for me to die than to live.
Akshaya Nath
Bhumesh's parents. Bhumesh's picture is in the background hanging on the wall.
I am Vangapalli Bhumesh, a farmer from Nemiligundlapalli village of Vemulawada mandal, Karimnagar District.

I wish I could have done many things before I left forever. To the people I know, to my family, to my wife -- who has been part of my life for only two months -- I still don't know how to apologise for what I have left you with.

I am really sorry. If I had an alternate option, I would have never taken this extreme step.

My story is no different from those of the 20,079 people --- part of the agricultural sector -- who committed suicide in Telangana between 1999 to 2012.
My story is no different from those 20,079 people -- part of the agricultural sector -- who committed suicide in Telangana between 1999 to 2012.
My story is no different from the 148 farmers' who have committed suicide in the new born state.
Akshaya Nath
Tombstone of farmers who have committed suicide. In the background, lie the fields where they used to toil once.
With 20 acres of land on lease for over three years being used for cotton crop, and just 1.5 acre land being used for paddy cultivation, it was never easy to manage things. The last two seasons of improper rainfall had left me with a huge debt.
The last two seasons of improper rainfall had left me with a huge debt.
Nearly 50 lakh farmers owe at least Rs 50,000 crores in crop loans to banks. I am not one of them. I am one of those farmers who owes a private money lender.
Cotton, cotton, everywhere, not a grain to eat!
In 20 acres of leased land I grew cotton. Cotton is a CASH CROP, something that yields huge returns. Like every other farmer who looks for better prospects, I cultivated cotton. But, in a dry land region like ours, it is really difficult to grow the water consuming Bt cotton.
The risk that I took was immense. For the 20 acre of leased land, I had to spend nearly Rs 80,000 for buying the seeds alone.
For the 20 acre of leased land, I had to spend nearly Rs 80,000 for buying the seeds alone.

Changes in cropping pattern in the South and North Telangana region between 1958 and 1998

020406080RiceJowarOther ..PulsesFood G..Ground..Oilsee..CottonOthers
  • 1958 South Telangana
  • 1998 South Telangana
  • 1958 North Telangana
  • 1998 North Telangana
Before I tell you more, let me tell you a little about cotton seeds. Almost 100 percent of the seeds are sold by private dealers, and one packet of seeds -- 450 grams -- is priced around Rs 1,000.
For one acre of land, according to the cotton seeds company, you need a minimum of three packets and to be on the safer side, we get at least four packets per acre.
One packet of seeds -- 450 grams -- is priced around Rs 1,000. At least three to four packets of the seeds are needed for one acre of land.
Investment in the seeds by itself is huge and like most farmers who suffered from the last two seasons' erratic weather conditions, I too had to suffer losses.
As you would have figured out by now, I was just a tenant farmer in the 20 acres of land on which I cultivated cotton. My financial status was not good either and the fact that I was a tenant farmer had direct repercussions on my loan worthiness, as measured by banks.

Minimum support price announced for different crops by the Government of India

01,0002K3K4K5K6KPaddy ..Paddy ..Cotton..Cotton..MaizeJowar-..Jowar-..BajraRagiTur (A..MoongUradGround..Sunflo..Soyabe..Soyabe..SesamumNigers..WheatBarleyGramLentil..Rapese..Safflo..Jute (..Sugarc..Copra ..Copra ..
  • 2011-12 Reco
  • 2011-12 Fixed
  • 2013-14 Reco
  • 2013-14 Fixed
source: circ.org
No loans for tenant farmers
As a tenant farmer, institutional loans are a far fetched dream. The banks give loans predominantly to farmers with lands, not to farmers like me.
I would have still been there -- alive -- but for those two fortunate seasons.
I was forced to approach private money lenders to continue farming. Initially, I was sure of repaying it. But, the final amount had touched three lakhs. I would have still been there -- alive -- but for those two fortunate seasons.
Water crisis
Akshaya Nath
The smell of dry land, -- I don't know how many of you know it, but it is really scary for a farmer. The first drop of water on the earth -- the refreshment, the joy, the smell of wet mud, it is INTOXICATING!

But, at the same time, the smell of the sludgy land that was supposed to ripen the fruit of your cultivation smells of blood, sweat, and DEATH.
The smell of the sludgy land that was supposed to ripen the fruit of your cultivation smells of blood, sweat, and DEATH.
Crop yields should be less than half the normal for banks to consider farm loan relief. Many regions of Andhra Pradesh and Telangana have more than 50 percentage crop yield, which nullifies their loan restructuring/relief chances.
Akshaya Nath

In my land, the crop yield was really low. I will walk you through the reasons behind that -- Telangana is a dry land region and cultivation is predominantly dependent on rain water. Much like this year, last year also the rain was delayed and when it rained, it was more like a flood situation and my crops got spoilt.
Irrigation in this region is done with water from borewells. The problem is that dry land regions have low ground water levels. The government was extremely happy with us farmers taking up borewells, but they never really knew what our struggle entailed.
The borewell I dug for nearly Rs. 35,000 was a failure. Hence, the irrigation process in my field failed and I was burdened with more debt. I was not ready to take the risk of investing more money to dig a successful borewell.
My crops failed due to improper irrigation.

Area irrigated by sources, District wise, 2011-2012

  • 0102030405060
      MahbubnagarRanga ReddyMedakNizamabadAdilabadKarimnagarWarangalKhammamNalgonda
      Source: telangana.gov.in
      The white gold became the reason behind me feeling a draught in my life. Two consecutive seasons had passed since I had last seen the soft cotton blooming in my fields. My paddy also did not do well.
      A 'helping hand' for those I left behind
      It has been a year since I died. Recently, my family was approached by a group of three people who told them about the money they could get because of my death (ex-gratia). The government indeed values my death, a farmer's death.
      At least my family will be benefited in some way or the other. The government will provide an ex-gratia amount of one lakh to my family, and a one time settlement of Rs. 50,000 to the people from whom I had borrowed money.
      Akshaya Nath
      The newly elected government has written off loans up to Rs one lakh per farmer, aggregating Rs 19,000 crores. But, how long will the government keep doing this? Waiving off loans is never a solution. Every alternate year or so there is drought in the state. Is the government going to give money to the farmers every alternate year?
      What we need is an effective management of the resources and better irrigation facility.
      Borewells are expensive and with the erratic power situation, there have been heavy loses. There have been situations where the motors have become non-functional due to fluctuating power supplies.
      One of the reasons the people of Telangana fought for a separate state was for the upliftment of the farmers in the state. Can any change be expected in the near future?
      Disclaimer: This is a first person narrative created by SaddaHaq.com based on extensive research and conversations with the family members of the deceased farmer. This should not be misconstrued for a suicide note.
      References:
      1. Report of Baseline Survey conducted for the families in which farmers committed suicides since 1999 in Andhra Pradesh
      2. Report of the Commission on Farmers’ Welfare, Government of Andhra Pradesh - Jayathi Gosh Committee Report
      3. Stats about the number of farmer suicides -- Revenue Department of Andhra Pradesh
      4. Report of the Expert Group on Agricultural Indebtedness - Radhakrishnan committee, Rythu Swarajya Vedica, Kiran Vissa, Kavitha Kuruganti, Asha Latha, Kondal Reddy (CCC), Krishna Yaswanth.
        Community

      No comments: