Cancer Expert Search

Cancer ExpertCancer Expert: Search
Enter your question and submit. Use a complete English sentence for better results.
Cancer Expert, © 2012-2013, ctSearch - Context Search Engine.

Friday, February 11, 2011

Tring tring , May I help you? DNA 8th Feb 2011

Tring, tring…. May I help you?

http://www.3dsyndication.com/dna/dna_english_news_and_features/Tring-tring%E2%80%A6.-May-I-help-you/DNMUM200438


| 2/8/2011 | Author : Meghna Sharma & Mayuree Rao | WC :849


*
Tring, tring…. May I help you?


Stuck in a problem, puzzle or puddle, helplines claim to be of assistance at any point of time. Is that a fact or a just another farce? Speak Up explores

Help is just a phone call away, say helplines. From cops to counsellors, everyone is available for immediate aid through this facility. However, most people DNA spoke to seem averse to using this option. The key problem that was repeatedly stated was lack of awareness regarding their existence. There were others who were happy about their existence, but wary of using their services due to a multitude of reasons.
Psychiatrist, Dr Bharat Shah says it is because we are a close-knit society. "We usually approach our closed ones for help and frown at speaking to strangers regarding our problems." On the same note, Seema Hingorrany, psychiatrist, says, "People have a mental block regarding opening up to strangers. Further, adults resist calling a helpline, feeling that they can handle their own problems." On another note, she adds, "Teens usually prefer to speak to their peers over adults, believing that grown-ups would not empathise with them."
Shah feels that the concept of using a helpline is still alien in our society. "The advertisement invariably being in English does not do much for creating awareness," he adds.


On the other hand, Vinay Somani, trustee, Karmayog, says that different categories of helplines see different responses.

“For instance, a helpline for a specific cause, like one for students, would be used most during exam time,” he says. The concern is about resources. “Apart from professional volunteers, helplines also require a lot funding and technical support, which is not always available. This influences their productivity negatively,” he adds.

DNA spoke to a few helplines and here are the excerpts:

Railway Helpline
(for any emergency) — 23004000
DNA: A man has entered into the ladies compartment and seems drunk
Helpline: Slow or fast train?
DNA: Slow
Helpline: And which station are you on right now?
DNA: The train just crossed Santa Cruz
Helpline: Okay, I will immediately send someone.
(We revealed our identity, here)

Anti-Ragging Helpline
1800-180-5522
DNA: Is this the anti-ragging helpline?
Helpline: Yes. How can we help?
DNA: I have just moved to XYZ hostel and my seniors have been troubling me. They abuse me and some of my things have also been missing. I don’t understand what to do. I am afraid if I complain to the warden, they will make sure I am thrown out.
Helpline: Ma’am, what is your name?
DNA: I’m A
Helpline: Okay A, would you like to register a complaint with us?
DNA: How does that work?
Helpline: We will need some information — victim’s name, address, college’s name…in your case, your hostel’s information. After that you will receive a complaint ID within 15 to 24 hours. And we will pass on your complaint to higher officials like your college principal, your area’s SP, etc.
DNA: No, no… these seniors are from my college. They will harass me there also.
Helpline: A, please stop crying, there is no need to panic. We are here to help you out. Your identity will not be revealed to anyone.
(Feeling assured, we let out our secret)

Theft Helpline
22621983
DNA: Is this the theft helpline?
Helpline: Yes
DNA: There has been a theft in my PG. My laptop and rent money is missing.
Helpline: Call 100
DNA: But isn’t this the theft helpline?
Helpline: We only look into emergencies like fire, accidents etc. Call the police. (Hangs up!)

Aasra Helpline
(for people in despair) — 27546669
DNA: My parents are pressuring me to get more than 95% in my Std X board exams
Helpline: How much are you expecting from yourself?
DNA: Around 70%
Helpline: Are you sure you can score that much?
DNA: Yes
Helpline: Then why do your parents want you to get more than 95%?
DNA: That’s because everyone else in my family is either a doctor or an engineer and they want me to pursue the same fields.
Helpline: Do you want to become a doctor or an engineer?
DNA: No
Helpline: Have you told this to your parents?
DNA: Yes, but they insist on it.
Helpline: Talk to your parents and explain to then what you want to do. If they still don’t understand then we can talk to them.
DNA: You’ll talk to them?
Helpline: Yes. If you want us to, then we will and we’ll try to solve the problem. Now concentrate on your studies and don’t worry about the percentage.

Maitra Helpline
(Institute of Psychological Health) — 25385447
DNA: Can I speak to you about a personal problem I have?
Helpline: Yes, please
DNA: I am expecting a baby right now. My in-laws want a son and they keep pestering me.
Helpline: But that is not in your hands…speak to your husband
DNA: He is very brash with me.
Helpline: Is this your first baby?
DNA: Yes
Helpline: Why don’t you go to your parents’ place for a while? You will be going there for your delivery, right?
DNA: My husband will not send me, says it’s too expensive.
Helpline: Speak to your parents
then. Tell them to come and get you. It’s very important that you are mentally relaxed. Also speak to your doctor, tell her to explain it to your husband.
DNA: My husband will be angry if I speak to the doctor behind his back.
Helpline: Tell your doctor to talk to him tactfully. And it is good that you called us. Feel free to call anytime you need any help.

No comments: