Cancer Expert Search

Cancer ExpertCancer Expert: Search
Enter your question and submit. Use a complete English sentence for better results.
Cancer Expert, © 2012-2013, ctSearch - Context Search Engine.

Friday, March 30, 2012

Dealing with Rejection(Wall Street Journal)

Dealing with Rejection(Wall Street Journal)

By Lauren Weber

No matter how well-adjusted you are, rejection stinks. Whether it comes in the form of a hiring manager who chooses another candidate or a rebuff from a lover, rejections unplug all the feelings of self-doubt and failure that most of us manage to bottle up under normal circumstances. Even the simple fear of a brush-off is sometimes enough to keep us from shooting for things we desperately want. Several years ago, I hit on a strategy that has drained some of the sting from these moments. I call it pre-emptive rejection, and here’s how it works: I reject myself very politely before I get the final word from the person who seemingly holds my fate in his or her hands.

The first time I tried this was in 2006, when I applied for the Knight-Bagehot Fellowship at Columbia University. I’d had a great interview with the director of the program but she called me a few days later with some follow-up questions, and the content of her questions indicated to me that she had reservations about my application. I dreaded receiving the turndown letter that I felt certain was already in the mail. So I decided to beat the director to it. In a letter dated April 18, 2006, I wrote to myself, “I regret to inform you that you have not been selected as a Knight-Bagehot Fellow this year. Please know that your application received a careful review by our distinguished panel of judges.”

It went on: “This year was extremely competitive. We received 138 applications for a total of 10 Fellowships. While we would like to be able to offer spots to more applicants, our resources currently limit us to 10.” The letter ended graciously, on a note of hope: “We encourage unsuccessful applicants to try again in the future. Many of our Fellows are accepted on their second or third or even fourth attempts.”

The letter was amazingly effective. I grieved a little, felt sorry for myself, and then started to move on, all before the real letter even arrived. That episode has a happy ending: I was offered the fellowship. But I used pre-emptive rejection again when I applied for my first job at this newspaper (which I didn’t get). I plan to return to this strategy again the next time I sense rejection around the corner. Readers, how do you deal with rejection? Do you have any tips for preparing for these emotional punches or recovering from them?

No comments: